Department of Chemistry



site header

Frequently Asked Questions

The application deadline for the Department of Chemistry was March 1st, am I too late to apply?

You may still apply for graduate studies after March 1st, however only applications received and completed by March 1st will be considered for Queen’s Fellowships and awards as applicable. 

I have submitted a Pre-Application and have not received a response.

This process may take several weeks, so please be patient. Once a Pre-Application is received in the Department of Chemistry it takes some time to review and it is circulated to all faculty.

Note that Canadian Citizens, Landed Immigrants, and Permanent Residents of Canada do not have to submit a Pre-Application as part of the application process. Submission of a Pre-Application and subsequent approval by the Department of Chemistry is required before international students can start the formal application process through the School of Graduate Studies.

When and where do I send my transcripts and other documents?

Supporting documents should only be sent after completing the School of Graduate Studies full application. All supporting documents should be sent to the School of Graduate Studies, Gordon Hall, Room 425, Queen's University, Kingston, Canada K7L 3N6.

Do I need to take the TOEFL test?

A current TOEFL score is a required part of the application process for all students whose native language is not English and for those who have NOT completed a university degree in English.

I am requesting my TOEFL score, what are the institution code and the department code?

If requesting scores from ETS, report 0949 as the institution code and 062 as the department code.

What financial aid is provided by the Department of Chemistry?

Full-time graduate students are guaranteed financial support for up to two years in the M.Sc. program and up to four years in the Ph.D. program which come from various sources.

The minimum guaranteed level of financial support in the Department of Chemistry for the 2016-2017 academic year is $23,000. Many students exceed this level of funding by obtaining national, provincial, or institutional scholarships and awards.

I am interested in a particular area of chemistry. Which faculty should I contact?

Faculty members' research areas, webpages, and contact information.

Do I need to complete the GRE (Graduate Record Examinations)?

The GREs are not required for admission to our programs.

Another list of Frequently Asked Questions provided by the School of Graduate Studies.